Professional Agile Leadership™ - Evidence-Based Management™ (PAL-EBM)
Professional Agile Leadership™ - Evidence Based-Management™ is an empirical approach that helps organizations to achieve their goals, improve outcomes for customers and organizational capabiities and business results in uncertain, unpredictable environments.
Upcoming PAL-EBM courses
With markets and customer needs constantly changing, organizations need information and evidence that helps them adapt quickly to new challenges and opportunities so that they can deliver greater value and achieve true business agility. Yet often organizations that use Agile product development techniques use traditional management approaches, expecting leaders to set firm long-term goals and manage progress toward them with dashboards of static metrics.
That is why Scrum.org created the Evidence-Based Management™ (EBM) framework which is an Agile approach to help leaders guide their teams toward continuously improving customer outcomes, organizational capabilities, and business results. EBM focuses on customer value and intentional experimentation to systematically improve an organization’s performance and achieve their strategic goals.
In the Professional Agile Leadership™ – Evidence-Based Management™ (PAL-EBM) one day course, participants learn what EBM is and how to apply it through hands-on, activity-based learning. Through a series of exercises participants learn techniques that support a more agile mindset:
• Use empiricism to set and achieve strategic goals, managing the unknown and complexity through experimentation and by adapting goals along the way
• Create a cultural environment using clear goals, appropriate measures and trust to enable selfmanagement and autonomy
• Shift the conversation away from measuring progress purely through team performance metrics, toward a focus on customer-centricity and improving customer outcomes
• Drive operational improvements by using four Key Value Areas (Unrealized Value, Current Value, Time-toMarket, and the Ability to Innovate) as lenses for evidence-based decision-making
Course Learning Objectives
Understand the essential aspects of goals and measures and how they influence behaviors and an organization’s culture and values
• Help organizations embrace empiricism as a leadership approach. Using experimentation to incrementally steer toward the organization’s goals
• An appreciation for how goals and trust act together to enable autonomy, transparency, and value delivery
• Correlate market leadership and sustainability to curiosity, adaptation, and empiricism
• Understand how to use EBM and its KVAs to focus measurements on improving market value and operational capabilities
Who Should Attend
PAL-EBM is for professionals in leadership roles (including executives, managers, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, coaches, and consultants) who:
• Are responsible for the success of their product delivery programs or Agile transformations and are seeking a means to measure and demonstrate that success
• Are looking for a framework that identifies improvement areas that increase their business agility, including their time to pivot to meet new challenges and deliver customer value
• Want to help their organization embrace empiricism and experimentation to find solutions for complex problems (where more is unknown than known or the situation changes rapidly)
• Want to articulate goals and measures in a way that fosters self-management and empower their teams to understand the connection between their work and the value their organization is providing and customer is receiving
• Want to be more effective in how they measure success by using Agile measures rather than traditional measurement models (including the use of velocity)